Friday, April 4, 2014

Spring Break


It's Spring Break for us and I haven't been doing as much reading as I'd like. By the end of the day, I've been too tired to do anything! So... I haven't finished Wild yet. I'm on the last part of the book and hope to complete it this weekend. If you've finished, please feel free to start a discussion or give a summary of your thoughts!

On another note, I went to the movies last week and saw Divergent. The movie is based on the novel series by Veronica Roth. Since I really enjoyed the trilogy of books, I was very excited to see the movie. It did not disappoint! I thought the movie followed the book fairly close. Of course there were some small changes but none that I thought changed the story line too much. Even if I hadn't read the book, I would have enjoyed the movie.


The first book/movie in the Divergent series introduces Beatrice Prior as the protagonist. It goes on to describes the dystopian Chicago world she lives in, a society divided into five factions – each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue: Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful) and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all 16 year olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. If they choose differently from the faction they were born into, they must forever forsake their family and friends. “Faction before blood,” is the motto. As the story unfolds, Beatrice discovers something about herself that she must keep hidden from everybody. All the while, she and her fellow initiates struggle to live out the choices they have made.

If you haven't read the books, give them a try! If you have read the books (or watched the movie), which faction would you choose? I'd like to say I'm Dauntless but in reality I'm probably more Candor.


Next up on The Reader Board radar is The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Go ahead and purchase, rent or borrow the book if you haven't already!


No comments:

Post a Comment