Monday, February 24, 2014

Welcome to The Reader Board!



Hi everybody! I'm glad you've stumbled across my blog.

If you're anything like me and you love reading then this is just the place for you! Bookmark this page in your browser or enter your email address into the "Follow by Email" link on the right so you don't miss any posts. Also, whenever you comment be sure to check the "Notify Me" box so you receive an email alert when somebody responds.

This is a no-commitment online book club. What that means is that you're welcome to participate as little or as much as you want! You can read the books that interest you and ignore the rest or you can read them all and share what you think.

A book will be read and discussed each month. Sometimes I will just choose one, other times we'll vote on a title from a few I'm considering and other times I will be asking you (the readers!) what you want to read.

For the first month, try to vote on your selection as soon as possible. The one with the most votes will be announced on March 5 and you can start reading as soon as you get the book. An ongoing discussion is encouraged throughout the month as you read the book but please no major spoilers until after the 20th when hopefully everybody has had a chance to finish reading the book. In the future, the book choice will be announced on the 1st but I wanted to give people a few extra days to choose since it's almost March already.

My goal is to offer a lot of variety in titles, authors, subjects, styles, and genres. One month we might read a popular title that's being talked about a lot, the next month we might read a biography about somebody famous, and the month after that we might read a classic. I love reading and welcome all suggestions!

I also think it would be fun to choose a book that is set to come out as a movie (like The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks) and meet as a group at the theater to watch the movie together.

Please feel free to post in the "Comments" section if you have ideas for the club, suggestions, complaints, or if you just want to share about a different book you've read recently! Anything goes!

I'm a big fan of the library and check-out a lot of the books I read (as opposed to buying them) and encourage others to give that a try too. Sometimes I pick books out when I take my boys to the library, other times I reserve them online so all I have to do is pick them up and check them out. I also do some reading on my Nook and can rent titles online through the North Olympic Library System (www.nols.org), the 3M Cloud Library (http://www.3m.com/us/library/eBook/index.html) and the Washington Anytime Library (http://anytime.lib.overdrive.com). When the book is due it simply expires and there are no overdue fees!

I read A LOT and I enjoy talking about what I read with friends. And I always welcome tips on good books or series to read.

Help this online book club get up and running by sharing this blog with your family, friends and fellow readers. The more the merrier!


No comments:

Post a Comment